Church officials told the Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday that it happened after Holy Communion at Francis Xavier Church in Kearns on Nov. 8.
Diocese spokeswoman Susan Dennin says the wafer wasnâ€™t eaten during the service. In accordance with Church practices, it was placed in an ablution bowl to dissolve.
Instead, the wafer, or host, turned a dark red color over the next several days.
Dennin says that similar instances have turned out to be a red wheat mold or fungus.
A committee will investigate what happened and make the results public. [More]