(Catholic Herald) The Holy See’s former auditor general, Libero Milone, has said he was forced to step down earlier this year after uncovering possible illegal activity. Vatican officials have hit back, however, accusing him of spying.
Mr Milone claimed on Saturday he was forced out over false accusations by an old guard opposed to reform. Speaking to a group of reporters, he said he was speaking out because “I couldn’t allow any longer a small group of powers to [defame] my reputation for their shady games”.
‘I wanted to do good for the Church, to reform it like I was asked, but they wouldn’t let me,” Mr Milone added.
“I believe the Pope is a great person, and he began with the best of intentions. But I’m afraid he was blocked by the old guard that’s still entirely there, which felt threatened when it understood that I could tell the Pope and [secretary of state Cardinal] Parolin what I’d seen with my own eyes in the accounts.”
However, Archbishop Giovanni Angelo Becciu, the Vatican’s deputy secretary of state, said Mr Milone’s claims were “false and unjustified”.
“He went against all the rules and was spying on the private lives of his superiors and staff, including me,” the archbishop told Reuters. “If he had not agreed to resign, we would have prosecuted him.” [More]